Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Houston Hiking

After almost a week of full time access to internet and cable TV, not to mention hot water, a kitchenette, visiting and shopping here in Houston, I found myself anxious for some outdoor activity or hiking. The weather is beautiful here, after the first significant front of fall came through yesterday. So, I decided to spend the afternoon on a trail that runs just a mile or so from my hotel. It runs between the West Houston Airport and the Katy Freeway.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the closest things to a ridgeline or snowcovered mountain in the area are the RR right of way and the Williams Tower, but, as usual, I was amazed to find enjoyable hiking and such a diversity of flora and fauna so close to the city. First the flora…pine, live oak, cedar, grapes, berries and a host of plants I couldn’t identify. These were interesting, but not so surprising. The fauna, on the other hand, did surprise me. I, of course, did run into the usual cardinals, mockingbirds, sparrows and crows. Then it was a couple of deer. See if you can pick them out.

Then, I spotted this snake trying to warm up in the sun after the cool night and morning

A red cockaded woodpecker....

There were even airplanes passing within 100 foot of me as I passed a stone’s throw from the airport. Of course there was some noise from the planes and the occasional jogger (mostly women) or biker, but overall a very pleasant and scenic 3-4 mile hike.

Tomorrow, it is back to Temple and a bit more outdoor activity, and a bit less luxury. I expect to enjoy that lifestyle until November 1, when I’ll take up residence on the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels for a couple of months. I’m looking forward to the time on the river, but I may go mad in the same place for 2 months. Time will tell.

1 comment:

jswaters said...

Good to see some pictures that look like home!